VAL D'OR, QC, Jan. 2, 2013/CNW/ - Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd (TSX: WDO) is pleased to report the underground exploration drilling results at the Kiena Mine continue to provide encouraging results. An underground exploration drilling program of the S-50 Zone at Kiena Mine was initiated during September, 2010 following a compilation which identified an unexplored area with dimensions of at least 150 m laterally by 400 m vertically toward the southeast of the gold deposit. The first phase of the drill program was designed to explore the area between the 27 and 48 levels (approx. 270 metres to 480 metres below surface). Please refer to the Press Release "Wesdome Plans Aggressive Drilling and Development Program in 2011" dated March 30, 2011, available on the website at www.wesdome.com.
Drill results demonstrate a continuity of the S-50 (South Zone) mineralized system toward the southeast and at depth with a series of steeply dipping sub-parallel zones intersected by several of the drill holes. Drill hole locations and results highlights are summarized in the following tables (Table 1 and Table 1a), (Table 2 and Table 2a), respectively.
George Mannard, Vice President - Exploration comments "We have recently developed, and are starting to mine, in the South Zone. Particularly tantalizing are the last 3 holes in the highlights list below. We believe further drilling in this area has potential to demonstrate continuity of above average grade mineralization with potentially economic dimensions in proximity to existing underground workings".
- 6.01 gAu/tonne over 10.0 m (core length), 8.78 m (true width) in hole U-5454
- 5.08 gAu/tonne over 6.4 m (core length), 1.93 m (true width) in hole U-5667
- 6.61 gAu/tonne over 11.8 m (core length), 2.20 m (true width) in hole U-5402
- 3.72 gAu/tonne over 11.0 m (core length), 6.75 m (true width) in hole U-5161
- 5.28 gAu/tonne over 2.8 m (core length), 1.53 m (true width) in hole U-5529
- 4.89 gAu/tonne over 6.1 m (core length), 4.45 m (true width) in hole U-4998
- 21.07 gAu/tonne over 7.5 m (core length), 7.30 m (true width) in hole U-5454
- 10.59 gAu/tonne over 5.1 m (core length), 1.53 m (true width) in hole U-5445
- 11.40 gAu/tonne over 3.5 m (core length), 1.07 m (true width) in hole U-5411
Mineralization of the S-50 Zone consists of an albitized stockwork vein-breccia-dyke complex situated along the contact between tholeitic basalts and komatiite flows. Historic production from the S-50 Zone has provided about 93% of the 1.7 million ounces of gold produced from 10.7 million tons to date at the Kiena mine.
The technical content of this press release has been compiled, reviewed and verified by Marc Ducharme, P.Geo. OGQ, Chief Exploration Geologist, Kiena mine in his capacity as a "Qualified Person", as per requirements of National Instrument 43-101. Assaying was done by fire assay methods at the Kiena mine assay office. In addition to internal duplicate, standards and blanks, the geology department inserts blind standards and blanks into the sample stream at a frequency of one in twenty to monitor quality control.
Wesdome is celebrating its 25th year of continuous mining operations in Canada. It currently has three producing gold mines with wholly-owned mining and milling complexes located in Wawa, Ontario and Val d'Or, Québec. The Company has 101.9 million shares issued and outstanding and trades on the TorontoStock Exchange under the symbol "WDO".