TORONTO , Oct. 11, 2012 /CNW/ - Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd (TSX: WDO) is pleased to announce that compilation of definition drilling completed immediately east of the Mishi mine in 2011 demonstrates good continuity. The 100% owned Mishi mine is located 50 km due west of Wawa, Ontario, Canada .
Donovan Pollitt , President, commented "I am pleased that mineralization extends hundreds of metres both to the east and to the west of our current reserves. Understanding the size and potential of the Mishi mine is a high priority. We have already begun a site selection study for a new, large-scale tailings management facility as we see potential for Mishi to become a much larger producer."
A total of 63 drill holes provided shallow drill coverage at 25 metre spacings when combined with previous drilling. Drilling traced extensions of mineralization currently being mined for 300 metres east of the pit. Combined with encouraging results west of the mine released previously (see Press Release dated November 22 , 2011), the Mishi mineralization has now been traced over a 1.0 km strikelength.
HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE *
- 2.03 g/t over 3.75 m from 29.25 m in MM11-33
- 2.67 g/t over 4.50 m from 31.75 m in MM11-45
- 2.89 g/t over 3.00 m from 44.50 m in MM11-45
- 4.26 g/t over 3.00 m from 21.00 m in MM11-47
- 2.38 g/t over 7.10 m from 53.00 m in MM11-47
- 11.15 g/t over 3.00 m from 9.75 m in MM11-48
- 2.57 g/t over 5.25 m from 26.50 m in MM11-49
- 1.48 g/t over 6.00 m from 40.50 m in MM11-50
- 1.69 g/t over 13.50 m from 27.00 m in MM11-62
- 0.94 g/t over 14.75 m from 56.25 m in MM11-63
- 1.17 g/t over 9.75 m from 71.25 m in MM11-66
- 2.68 g/t over 5.35 m from 40.15 m in MM11-67
- 1.07 g/t over 6.00 m from 30.75 m in MM11-69
- 1.33 g/t over 5.25 m from 26.25 m in MM11-71
- 1.32 g/t over 3.70 m from 34.45 m in MM11-71
- 1.32 g/t over 8.50 m from 17.25 m in MM11-72
- 1.56 g/t over 7.70 m from 61.00 m in MM11-73
- 1.33 g/t over 7.00 m from 77.05 m in MM11-77
- 2.06 g/t over 19.70 m from 44.65 m in MM11-82
- 1.15 g/t over 6.70 m from 79.30 m in MM11-88
- 1.73 g/t over 10.55 m from 50.45 m in MM11-88
- 1.91 g/t over 4.70 m from 5.25 m in MM11-92
- 2.09 g/t over 6.50 m from 23.40 m in MM11-92*
- 1.85 g/t over 5.22 m from 20.03 m in MM11-94
*Lengths approximate true width
At least three zones are recognized. For a distance of 200 metres east of the existing pit overburden is very thin and the mineralization comes to surface.
This area demonstrates potential to cost effectively expand mining operations. Our goal is to complete mine planning, initiate stripping to confirm continuity, initiate permitting amendments for expansion and incorporate this area into the mine plan and mineral reserves. The eastern extension provides additional flexibility to supply low-strip, incremental millfeed during the initial higher-strip phase of our 5-year mine plan at existing operations.
A complete list of drilling intersections over 1.0 gAu/tonne and drill hole location data is provided on our website at www.wesdome.com .
The Mishi gold deposit strikes east-west and dips 40 degrees north. It is situated within the Mishibishu Deformation Zone, a regional shear zone which follows a volcanic-sedimentary contact. The gold is hosted by a series of conformable, en echelon sericite-ankerite alteration zones which carry fine disseminated pyrite.
Commercial production was declared January 1 , 2012. Mining operations were initiated based on a Pre-Feasibility study completed January 12 , 2011. This was an independent 43-101 Technical Report and Pre-Feasibility study authored by Independent Qualified Persons K. Brosseau, P.Eng., Natalie Gauthier , P.Eng. and Sylvie Poirier , P.Eng. of InnovExplo Inc., an independent, Val d'Or, Quebec based consulting firm. The reader is referred to this report available at www.sedar.com . Mine development and initial production is following the concept recommended in this report. The only significant modification is the utilization of a 1.0 gAu/tonne grade control cut-off grade (from 1.33 gAu/tonne in the study) due to higher gold prices.
The technical disclosure in this press release has been reviewed by George Mannard, PGeo. and Vice President Exploration for Wesdome and "Qualified Person" as defined by NI 43-101. Assaying is performed at the Eagle River Mine Assay office by fire assay methods on 25 gram aliquots. In addition to duplicates, replicates, standards and blanks employed by the assay office, blind blanks and standards are introduced to the sample stream by the exploration personnel. Additionally, 1 in 20 samples are shipped to Techni-Lab Laboratories in Ste-Germaine Boulé, Quebec , a certified commercial laboratory and external reference.
Wesdome is celebrating its 25th year of continuous mining operations in Canada. It currently has three producing gold mines with wholly-owned mining and milling complexes located in Wawa, Ontario and Val d'Or, Québec. The Company has 101.9 million shares issued and outstanding and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol "WDO