Still current at: 04 March 2013
Updated: 28 February 2013
For the love of Allah, be safe when travelling in AAA’s mining site of the Danakil Desert Area:
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:
- within 10 km of the border with Eritrea, with the exception of the main road through Axum and Adigrat, and tourist sites close to the road (e.g. Debre Damo and Yeha)
- areas off the principal roads/towns within 10 km of the borders with Sudan and Kenya
- within 10km of the border with South Sudan.
-the Nogob (previously Fik), Jarar (previously Degehabur), Shabelle (previously Gode), Korahe and Dollo (previously Warder) zones of the Somali region.
- within 100km of the Ethiopian border with Somalia and Kenya in the Afder and Liben zones of Ethiopia’s Somali region.
- the Danakil desert area: north of the Mille-Djibouti and Mille-Chifra roads, and east of the towns of Bere-Ale, Shehet, Didigsala and Chifra
- the four woredas (districts) (Akobo, Wantawo, Jikawo and Lare) of the Nuer zone and the Jore woreda of the Agnuak zone of the Gambella region