VANCOUVER -- These quotes from the two hard assets shows taking place in British Columbia, Canada, speak for themselves.
I culled them first-hand from the Cambridge House Metals Exhibition and the yearly Cordilleran Minerals Round-Up of geologists and miners. (For the potent material, please see www.tickertrax.com, our wealth service for garage-loft investors.)
These are all priceless, even the silver ones:
- “Why is it I try to buy a (gold) Maple Leaf and I have to pay almost $1,200 dollars (Canadian)? How can this be?” – Ali, my taxi driver into town
- “How big is your bid, Ben? Gold is going to pop $100 a day for five days straight. And then the real gains will begin.” – Jeffrey Dahl, president of Samex Mining Corp.
- “It’s probably the greatest proxy on gold ever down those shafts.” – John Embry, fund manager for Sprott Asset Management, describing a South African mining company, Witwatersrand Consolidated (WIWTY in U.S. and WGR in South Africa)
- “Mike Milken back in the 80’s said the banks were levered four times and he could not sleep at night. Lehman, Merrill, Bear Stearns, they were levered 24 times.” – Frank Holmes, chairman of U.S. Funds
- “Manipulation of markets is about the fight between limited government and unlimited government.” – Chris Powell, secretary of 10-year-old Gold Anti Trust Action Committee
- “There are 50 nations with words or names that equate money with silver – Argentina (little silver), plata in Mexico … When push comes to shove people will go for the silver.” – David Morgan of Silver Investor
- “Hope is a wonderful thing to have spiritually. It is a terrible thing to have for investments.” – Peter Grandich of Grandich Letter
- “Wall Street is a bunch of sociopaths. You can’t grow a conscience if you don’t have one.” – Trace Mayer of RunToGold.com
- “I am not relishing the prospect of a world with $3,000 gold. But I am prepared for that day.”—Thom Calandra
Howard Fitch, who runs the Cambridge metals conferences for investors, says this one drew almost 6,000 people to Vancouver, even with snow in the forecast.
Funniest moment was probably when Chris Powell and Bill Murphy of Gold Antitrust Action Committee accepted a 10-year anniversary plaque from Cambridge House’s Joe Martin for their reporting of market manipulation in bullion trading. “I would like the room to know that next week, we are turning our attention to flying saucers,” said GATA’s Powell. GATA is a registered nonprofit based in the U.S. The group’s body of work is probably one of the top financial stories, albeit unreported in the press, of the decade. GATA deserves your support if you believe in free markets and a government of open-source bankers and Treasury administrators.
Ticker Trax By Thom Calandra and its growing group of subscribers are steady in the belief that rising demand for physical gold, silver, platinum and other elements will boost commodity prices against all paper currencies. The new service also examines life-sciences prospects.
Ticker Trax By Thom Calandra explores planet Earth for those few stakes that offer the prospect of excellent, in some cases cosmic, returns. The new service is for those who are entirely at ease with stratospheric levels of risk attached to a handful of planetary prospects. (Please see www.tickertrax.com.)
Bonus: Please nip into our Ticker Trax™ discussion group – on Stockhouse.
Phoenix in February
I will be presenting a 45-minute Ticker Trax™ workshop at the Cambridge House conference coming to Phoenix next month. The show will feature a silver auction but sadly, no flying saucers.
THOM’S STORY: Thom Calandra during 27 years of road work has helped his audience find value in a quagmire of investment choices. Thom co-founded CBS MarketWatch, MarketWatch.com and FT MarketWatch in Europe. As the voice of Thom Calandra's StockWatch and The Calandra Report, Thom fancied $300-ounce gold before that metal became an investment rage. Thom visited bioscience companies, metals mines and energy companies in a search for reliable sources and fine planetary prospects. (He was imperfect in at least one regard, having settled a U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission complaint in 2004.) Thom's novel PABLO BY NUMBERS was completed in 2008. Thom is continuing his search for the planet’s finest prospects.
HOLDINGS: Thom’s cosmos of holdings is listed for free Stockhouse members on www.Stockhouse.com under the “portfolio setting” for user TCALANDRA. He and his family own recently minted gold coins. They also own shares of a privately held platinum mine in South Africa’s Bushveld Complex. For the free ThomWatch, please click here. For subscription service Ticker Trax, please visit www.TickerTrax.com.
Ticker Trax is published by Stockgroup Media Inc. Ticker Trax is an information service for subscribers and neither Stockhouse nor Thom Calandra is a broker or investment advisor. None of the information contained therein constitutes a recommendation by Mr. Calandra or Stockhouse/Stockgroup Media that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. Ticker Trax does not purport to tell or suggest which investment securities subscribers or readers should buy or sell for themselves. Subscribers and readers of Ticker Trax should always conduct their own research and due diligence and obtain professional advice before making any investment decision. Ticker Trax will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a reader’s reliance on information obtained in the reports. Subscribers and readers are solely responsible for their own investment decisions. Opinions expressed in Ticker Trax are based on sources believed to be reliable and are written in good faith, but no representation or warranty, expressed or implied, is made as to their accuracy or completeness. All information contained in Ticker Trax should be independently verified with the companies mentioned. The editor and publisher are not responsible for errors or omissions or responsible to keep any information up to date or to correct any past information. Ticker Trax does not receive compensation of any kind from any companies that may be mentioned in Ticker Trax. Any opinions expressed are subject to change without notice. Owners, employees and writers may hold positions in the securities that are discussed in Ticker Trax. PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL THOM SEEKING PERSONALIZED INVESTMENT ADVICE, WHICH HE CANNOT PROVIDE. Copyright 2009 all rights reserved.